    SubjectRe: RFC: Remove swap file support
    Chris Wedgwood <cw@f00f.org> writes:

    > On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 12:07:38AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    >
    > Yes, and no. I'd say what we need to do is update rw_swap_page to
    > use the address space functions directly. With block devices and
    > files going through the page cache in 2.5 that should remove any
    > special cases cleanly.
    >
    > Will block devices go through the page cache in 2.5.x?
    >
    > I had hoped they would, that any block devices would just be
    > page-cache views of underlying character devices, thus allowing us to
    > remove the buffer-cache and the /dev/raw stuff.

    <orcale>
    Block devices will go through the page cache in 2.5. It will take a
    while for the buffer cache to go away completely, but it is there for
    the code paths that haven't been updated. Buffer heads will stay.

    The /dev/raw stuff is for those users that don't want to the kernel to
    cache their data and will continue to exist in some form.
    </oracle>

    I can't see how any device that doesn't support read or writing just a
    byte can be a character device.

    Eric