SubjectRe: RFC: Remove swap file support
Chris Wedgwood <> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 12:07:38AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Yes, and no. I'd say what we need to do is update rw_swap_page to
> use the address space functions directly. With block devices and
> files going through the page cache in 2.5 that should remove any
> special cases cleanly.
> Will block devices go through the page cache in 2.5.x?
> I had hoped they would, that any block devices would just be
> page-cache views of underlying character devices, thus allowing us to
> remove the buffer-cache and the /dev/raw stuff.

Block devices will go through the page cache in 2.5. It will take a
while for the buffer cache to go away completely, but it is there for
the code paths that haven't been updated. Buffer heads will stay.

The /dev/raw stuff is for those users that don't want to the kernel to
cache their data and will continue to exist in some form.

I can't see how any device that doesn't support read or writing just a
byte can be a character device.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.075 / U:0.728 seconds]