SubjectRe: Switching Kernels without Rebooting?
Date
On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 00:48:15 -0400 (EDT), Frank Davis
<fdavis@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

>Hello all,
> I believe that if such a project is to be undertaken, it first
>needs to be designed, then coded. I agree that is a difficult problem...As
>for its feasiblity, I'm unsure. Maybe the reason this topic comes up
>here from time to time is because it hasn't been shown to be a bad
>idea. It might be be, but if we don't start somewhere, then we'll never
>really know, and the debate will continue. Just my .02 cents.
>Regards,

This topic comes up once a twice a year.

Usually this topic comes to a grinding halt when someone points out
that drivers can be created modular. They can be loaded and unloaded
without rebooting Linux. One project used that technique to
load/unload different schedulers. While this satisfies only part of
the need, it is usually enough to satisfy the tinker-er.

A more recent development is UML - User Mode Linux - where you can run
a nearly complete Linux image in user mode. That way you can fiddle
with file systems to your hearts content without rebooting the main
system. I suspect that will satisfy others.

john alvord

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.043 / U:7.460 seconds]