SubjectRe: Switching Kernels without Rebooting?
 > I've just suspended to disk after the list line, pulled the power
> taken the RAM chip out, shorted the pins to make really sure, then
> back up.

FYI: Taking the memory module out and shorting its pins together is a
great way to unnecessarily risk zapping your RAM with ESD, and a
terrible way to ensure that its contents are erased. When the DRAM is
not being accessed (by definition true when you remove power), the gate
capacitors that form the DRAM array are floating unconnected and cannot
be intentionally discharged. You just have to wait for good old leakage
to kill the bits. A minute should be more than enough.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.033 / U:2.272 seconds]