    Subjectdisk full or not? you decide...
    hello,
    i am not a subscriber to the list but i need the help of anyone
    on the list who might have some insite into this problem. please
    remember to cc me on your reply. thanks!

    we are using reiserfs on a system running 2.4.3 (i think i put all
    of the relavant patches into the kernel before i built it then...)
    we have a partition that is used when encoding ripped songs and
    storing large files such as video and music. we noticed recently
    that the partition reported itself as being full. after a reboot
    the system reported having 6G freed. now again after a day of use
    the space has dissappered. df now returns:
    ----
    /dev/hda5 706M 229M 477M 32% /
    /dev/hda2 55M 36M 19M 65% /boot
    /dev/hda7 1.0G 95M 932M 9% /usr/local
    /dev/hda8 26G 22G 3.7G 85% /Assets
    ----
    however if you run du on the /Assets dir you get:
    ----
    8.3G /Assets
    ----
    does anyone know why this is happening? our guess is that the logs
    to reiser are getting quite large. how do we flush them and force
    a garbage collection? we save and remove several large files on this
    partition as the system is running. therefore, i figure that the
    space is kept around till the log is flushed in case it is needed for
    replaying the journal. am i totaly off?

    i would like to upgrade the kernel but we have several third party
    dependencies that keep us from doing that on a fast enough pace to
    keep up with the 2.4.x series.

    thanks again for any help that can be given. remember to cc me in
    responces.

    --
    shawn veader --oOo-- linux os developer
    shawn.veader@zapmedia.com | http://www.zapmedia.com