SubjectRe: What are the VM motivations??
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, watermodem wrote:
[snip interior quotes]
> Would never work with the ac-series. Not enough time
> to form a neural pattern between builds. There is
> a semi-prior art here. Unix on the Tandem (now Compaq)
> Helix shipped (and maybe still does) with a Neural Net
> for system sanity and tuning. Only problem is that
> the learning period usually exceeds the average time
> between installing releases (communications customers).
> 8^)

For a less ambitious approach that worked fairly well for a lot of sites
(including mine) see also VMS Autogen. It was nice, having a mechanical
"expert" looking over my shoulder, making suggestions, double-checking my
ideas, etc. One run a week was usually enough to tune a system pretty
well, for a general timesharing/batch/modest services load.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer mwood@IUPUI.Edu
Make a good day.