    SubjectRe: temperature standard - global config option?
    L. K. writes:
    > On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

    >> The bits are free; the API is hard to change.
    >> Sensors might get better, at least on high-end systems.
    >> Rounding gives a constant 0.15 degree error.
    >> Only the truly stupid would assume accuracy from decimal places.
    >> Again, the bits are free; the API is hard to change.
    >> One might provide other numbers to specify accuracy and precision.
    > I really do not belive that for a CPU or a motherboard +- 1 degree would
    > make any difference.
    > If a CPU runs fine at, say, 37 degrees C, I do not belive it will have any
    > problems running at 38 or 36 degrees. I support the ideea of having very
    > good sensors for temperature monitoring, but CPU and motherboard
    > temperature do not depend on the rise of the temperature of 1 degree, but
    > when the temperature rises 10 or more degrees. I hope you understand what
    > I want to say.

    Of course I understand. Motorola offers 4-degree resolution,
    with a random offset of up to 12 degrees. (calibration is possible)
    You seem to need another reminder that THE BITS ARE FREE.

    Why would you even consider trying to squeeze out a few bits?
    You can't be absolutely sure that they will never be useful.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.021 / U:0.080 seconds]