    SubjectRe: temperature standard - global config option?
    Michael H. Warfiel writes:

    > We don't have sensors that are accurate to 1/10 of a K and certainly not
    > to 1/100 of a K. Knowing the CPU temperature "precise" to .01 K when
    > the accuracy of the best sensor we are likely to see is no better than
    > +- 1 K is just about as relevant as negative absolute temperatures.
    > Even if we had or could, anticiplate, sensors with a +- .01 K,
    > the relevance of knowing the CPU temperature to that precision is
    > lost on me. I see no sense in stuffing a field with meaningless
    > bits just because the field will hold them. In fact, this "false precision"
    > quickly leads to the false impression of accuracy. Based on several
    > messages I have seen on this thread and in private E-Mail, there are a
    > number of people who don't seem to grasp the fundamental difference
    > between precision and accuracy and truely don't understand that adding
    > meaningless precision like this adds nothing to the accuracy.
    > I can see maybe making it precise to .1 K. But stuffing the bits
    > in there to be precise to .01 K just because we have the bits and not
    > because we have any realistic information to fill the bits in with, is
    > just silly to me. Just as silly as allowing for negative numbers in an
    > absolute temperature field. We have the bits to support it, but why?

    The bits are free; the API is hard to change.
    Sensors might get better, at least on high-end systems.
    Rounding gives a constant 0.15 degree error.
    Only the truly stupid would assume accuracy from decimal places.
    Again, the bits are free; the API is hard to change.

    One might provide other numbers to specify accuracy and precision.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.021 / U:4.332 seconds]