    SubjectRe: VM Report was:Re: Break 2.4 VM in five easy steps

    Marcelo> Now the stock kernel gives us crappy interactivity compared
    Marcelo> to my patch. (Note: my patch still does not gives me the
    Marcelo> interactivity I want under high VM loads, but I hope to get
    Marcelo> there soon).

    This raises the important question, how can we objectively measure
    interactive response in the kernel and relate it to the user's
    perceived interactive response? If we could come up with some sort of
    testing system that would show us this, it would help alot, since we
    could just have people run tests in a more automatic and repeatable
    manner.

    And I think it would also help us automatically tune the Kernel, since
    it would have a knowledge of it's own performance.

    There is the problem in terms of some people want pure interactive
    performance, while others are looking for throughput over all else,
    but those are both extremes of the spectrum. Though I suspect
    raw throughput is the less wanted (in terms of numbers of systems)
    than keeping interactive response good during VM pressure.

    I have zero knowledge of how we could do this, but giving the kernel
    some counters, even if only for use during debugging runs, which would
    give us some objective feedback on performance would be a big win.

    Having people just send in reports of "I ran X,Y,Z and it was slow"
    doesn't help us, since it's so hard to re-create their environment so
    you can run tests against it.

    Anyway, enjoy the weekend all.

    John
    John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Lucent Technologies
    stoffel@lucent.com - http://www.lucent.com - 978-952-7548

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.059 / U:32.432 seconds]