SubjectRe: CacheFS
"Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:

> Jan Kasprzak writes:
>
> > Another goal is to use the Linux filesystem
> > as a backing store (as opposed to the block device or single large file
> > used by CODA).
> > - kernel module, implementing the filesystem of the type "cachefs"
> > and a character device /dev/cachefs
> > - user-space daemon, which would communicate with the kernel
> > over /dev/cachefs and which would manage the backing store
> > in a given directory.
> >
> > Every file on the front filesystem (NFS or so) volume will be cached
> > in two local files by cachefsd: The first one would contain the (parts of)
> > * Should the cachefsd be in user space (as it is in the prototype
> > implementation) or should it be moved to the kernel space? The
> > former allows probably better configuration (maybe a deeper
> > directory structure in the backing store), but the later is
> > faster as it avoids copying data between the user and kernel spaces.
>
> I think that, if speed is your goal, you should have the kernel
> code use swap space for the cache. Look at what tmpfs does, but
> running over top of tmpfs leaves you with the overhead of running
> two filesystems and a daemon. It is better to be direct.

So how would you get persistent caching across reboots which is one of
the major advantages of a cachefs type filesystem. I guess you could tar
the cache on startup and shutdown although would be a little slow :).

I think 'speed' here means faster than NFS or other network filesystems
- you obviously have the overhead of network traffic for cache-coherency
but can avoid a lot of data transfer (even after a reboot).

~mc

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.632 / U:0.620 seconds]