SubjectRe: BUG: race-cond with partition-check and ll_rw_blk (all platforms, 2.4.*!)

Hi Andries, Hi List!

Andries, thank you for your quick response,
>Well, among the irrelevant details you left out is the fact that
>it is not
> blk_size[dev->major] = NULL;
>but
> if(!dev->sizes)
> blk_size[dev->major] = NULL;
Well, this is absoloutely right, the behaviour to clear blk_size when
dev->sizes
is NULL looks sensible to me. But seven lines below it says
-unconditionaly-:
blk_size[dev->major] = NULL;

>So, the idea is that either this major has an array with sizes,
>and then one can find it in blk_size[dev->major], or it hasn't.
>You seem to have a situation where dev->sizes is NULL but
>blk_size[dev->major] is not? What device is this?
Our dev->sizes holds a pointer which (normally, when grok_partitions is
not running currently). We are running the dasd-device driver for channel
attached disks on mainframe architectures (drivers/s390/block/dasd*).

mit freundlichem Gruß / with kind regards
Carsten Otte

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Linux for 390/zSeries Development - Device Driver Team
Phone: +49/07031/16-4076
IBM internal phone: *120-4076
--
We are Linux.
Resistance indicates that you're missing the point!

Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl on 06/07/2001 11:10:52 PM

Please respond to Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl

To: Carsten Otte/Germany/IBM@IBMDE, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
cc:
Subject: Re: BUG: race-cond with partition-check and ll_rw_blk (all
platforms, 2.4.*!)

From: COTTE@de.ibm.com

We just had a problem when running some formatting-utils on
a large amount of disks synchronously: We got a NULL-pointer
violation when accessig blk_size[major] for our major number.
Further research showed, that grok_partitions was running at
that time, which has been called by register_disk, which our
device driver issues after a disk has been formatted.
Grok_partitions first initializes blk_size[major] with a NULL
pointer, detects the partitions and then assigns the original
value to blk_size[major] again.
Here's the interresting code from these functions, I cut some
irrelevant things out:
From grok_paritions:
blk_size[dev->major] = NULL;
check_partition(dev, MKDEV(dev->major, first_minor), 1 +
first_minor);
if (dev->sizes != NULL) {
blk_size[dev->major] = dev->sizes;
};
From generic_make_request:
if (blk_size[major]) {
if (blk_size[major][MINOR(bh->b_rdev)]) {

Can anyone explain to me, why grok_partitions has to clear
this pointer?

if (dev->sizes)
blk_size[dev->major] = dev->sizes;

So, the idea is that either this major has an array with sizes,
and then one can find it in blk_size[dev->major], or it hasn't.
You seem to have a situation where dev->sizes is NULL but
blk_size[dev->major] is not? What device is this?

Andries

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.028 / U:0.160 seconds]