SubjectRe: Please test: workaround to help swapoff behaviour

>> I looked at try_to_unuse in swapfile.c. I believe that the algorithm is
>> broken.
>> For each and every swap entry it is walking the entire process list
>> (for_each_task(p)). It is also grabbing a whole bunch of locks
>> for each swap entry. It might be worthwhile processing swap entries in
>> batches instead of one entry at a time.
>>
>> In any case, I think having this patch is worthwhile as a quick and
dirty
>> remedy.
>
>Bulent,
>
>Could you please check if 2.4.6-pre2+the schedule patch has better
>swapoff behaviour for you?

No problem. I will check it tomorrow. I don't think it can be any worse
than it is now. The patch looks correct in principle.
I believe it should go in to 2.4.6. But I will test it.

On small machines people don't notice it, but otherwise if you have few
GB of memory it really hurts. Shutdowns take forever since swapoff takes
forever.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.031 / U:0.056 seconds]