SubjectRe: Break 2.4 VM in five easy steps
Mike Galbraith <mikeg@wen-online.de> writes:

> On 7 Jun 2001, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
> > Does this improve the swapoff speed or just allow other programs to
> > run at the same time? If it is still slow under that kind of load it
> > would be interesting to know what is taking up all time.
> >
> > If it is no longer slow a patch should be made and sent to Linus.
>
> No, it only cures the freeze. The other appears to be the slow code
> pointed out by Andrew Morton being tickled by dead swap pages.

O.k. I think I'm ready to nominate the dead swap pages for the big
2.4.x VM bug award. So we are burning cpu cycles in sys_swapoff
instead of being IO bound? Just wanting to understand this the cheap way :)

Eric

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:54    [W:0.054 / U:0.392 seconds]