Yes, I'm aware of this.

However, I still believe that my original problem report is a BUG. No
matter how much swap I have, or don't have, and how much is or isn't
being used, running "swapoff" and forcing the VM subsystem to reclaim
unused swap should NOT cause my machine to feign death for several

I can easily take 256MB out of this machine, and then I *will* have
twice as much swap as RAM and I can still cause the exact same

It's a bug, and no number of times saying "You need twice as much swap
as RAM" will change that fact.