SubjectRe: [driver] New life for Serial mice

> > > hmmm. I just looked over this, and drivers/char/joystick/ser*.[ch].
> > >
> > > Bad trend.
> > >
> > > Serial needs to be treated just like parport: the basic hardware code,
> > > then on top of that, a selection of drivers, all peers: dumb serial
> > > port, serial mouse, joystick, etc.
> >
> > Agreed. Completely.
> I suggest that if someone is thinking about this that they look at
> serial_core.c in the ARM patch hunk.
> (
> Note that you shouldn't apply the whole patch - it probably won't compile
> for anything but ARM atm.

Never noticed it until now. Very nice patch :-) I have to agree as well.
It would be nice if we had

1) A seperate serial directory under drivers.

2) A nice structure that input devices and the tty layer can use. It is
just a waste to go threw the tty layer for input devices. It would also
make serial driver writing easier if the api is designed right :-)