SubjectRe: temperature standard - global config option?
On 6 Jun 2001, David N. Welton wrote:

> [ please CC replies to me ]
>
> Perusing the kernel sources while investigating watchdog drivers, I
> notice that in some places, Fahrenheit is used, and in some places,
> Celsius. It would seem logical to me to have a global config option,
> so that you *know* that you talk devices either in F or C.
>
> I searched the archives for discussions regarding this, but didn't
> find anything, apologies if I missed something.

If something is done, Celsius should be default (as the US is brain-dead
like that; nearly everywhere else uses Celsius as the standard) and
fahrenheit as an option.

I wrote a patch for the 'sensors' utility in lm_sensors that did just
that; supplied fahrenheit conversion for the sensors via a commandline
option. Perhaps there could be a config option in the kernel (or a proc
entry/ioctl?) that controls this.

Kelsey Hudson khudson@ctica.com
Software Engineer
Compendium Technologies, Inc (619) 725-0771