SubjectRe: Break 2.4 VM in five easy steps
Richard Gooch wrote:

> Daniel Phillips writes:

> > > For large memory boxes, this is ridiculous. Should I have 8GB of
> > > swap?
>
> Sure. It's cheap. If you don't mind slumming it, go and buy a 20 GB
> IDE drive for US$65. I know RAM has gotten a lot cheaper lately (US$66
> for a 512 MiB PC133 DIMM), but it's still far more expensive. If you
> can afford 4 GiB of RAM, you can definately afford 8 GiB of swap.

For me, the problem is not the money. If I have a system that needs
4GB of RAM, it is highly unlikely that I would ever want to be running
this machine with 8GB of swap active. However, I may be willing to
tollerate 1GB of swapping before paging to disk slowed things down
too much. This is the exact scenario I had when dealing with a large
Sun machine running Oracle & some other stuff. Oracle is dedicated large
amounts of RAM, but if I wanted to run a quick, memory intensive program
too, (and at the moment performance isn't all that big of a deal), then
using some swap is OK.

So, I too cast my vote for the 2*RAM requiment to be odious and in
need of fixing!! It could be a suggestion, but I would consider that
if not following the suggestion caused more than 10% slowdown, then
things are still broken, and optimally, it should work like the 2.2
does (in other words, I don't notice, and don't particularly care
how much swap per RAM I need, just how much total RAM-like-stuff I need.)

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> <Ben_Greear@excite.com>