    SubjectRe: 2.4.5 VM
    Hi,

    first of all, I am not complaining, or calling things buggy. I know
    that what I am running is "work in progress" and that one gets what one
    deserves :-) 2.4.x has been stable for me and given me no severe problem
    besides the changed pcmcia/cardbus support somewhere in 2.4.4-acx

    Just let me add my observation. The VM behaviour of 2.4.5 (started with
    some 2.4.4-ac kernel) is definitely less than an improvement for *my*
    setup. I am running a Thinkpad570 with 128 MB memory and about the same
    amount of swap (I know, against reccomendation).

    Under the new VM behaviour, I easily get in a situation where the
    system feels very sluggish. At that point in time, about 70-80% of
    memory are Cache, the rest is Used and some small amount of free. Swap
    is usually less than half filled and paging activity is about zero (some
    sporadic page out). Typical case is a kernel build plus a Netscape
    session. No unusal behaviour showing up in "top" - just sluggish system
    response.

    My gut feeling is that the Cache is pressing to hard against process
    memory. This may be great for some setups, but it is not good for others
    (like mine).

    What would be great (maybe someone is already working on it) are some
    tuning measures to tweak the cacheing behaviour.

    Just my 2 (Euro-)cents.

    Martin