    SubjectRe: Break 2.4 VM in five easy steps

    I also need some 2.4 features and can't really goto 2.2.
    I would have to agree that the VM is too broken for production...looking
    forward to the work that (hopefully) will be in 2.4.6 to resolve these issues.

    "Jeffrey W. Baker" wrote:

    > On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Derek Glidden wrote:
    >

    > > After reading the messages to this list for the last couple of weeks and
    > > playing around on my machine, I'm convinced that the VM system in 2.4 is
    > > still severely broken.
    > >
    > > This isn't trying to test extreme low-memory pressure, just how the
    > > system handles recovering from going somewhat into swap, which is a real
    > > day-to-day problem for me, because I often run a couple of apps that
    > > most of the time live in RAM, but during heavy computation runs, can go
    > > a couple hundred megs into swap for a few minutes at a time. Whenever
    > > that happens, my machine always starts acting up afterwards, so I
    > > started investigating and found some really strange stuff going on.
    >
    > I reboot each of my machines every week, to take them offline for
    > intrusion detection. I use 2.4 because I need advanced features of
    > iptables that ipchains lacks. Because the 2.4 VM is so broken, and
    > because my machines are frequently deeply swapped, they can sometimes take
    > over 30 minutes to shutdown. They hang of course when the shutdown rc
    > script turns off the swap. The first few times this happened I assumed
    > they were dead.
    >
    > So, unlike what certain people like to repeatedly claim, the 2.4 VM
    > problems are causing havoc in the real world.
    >
    > -jwb
    >
    > -

    Russell Leighton russell.leighton@247media.com

    Programming today is a race between software
    engineers striving to build bigger and better
    idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to
    produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the
    Universe is winning. - Rich Cook