    SubjectComment on patch to remove nr_async_pages limit

    Zlatko,

    I've read your patch to remove nr_async_pages limit while reading an
    archive on the web. (I have to figure out why lkml is not being delivered
    correctly to me...)

    Quoting your message:

    "That artificial limit hurts both swap out and swap in path as it
    introduces synchronization points (and/or weakens swapin readahead),
    which I think are not necessary."

    If we are under low memory, we cannot simply writeout a whole bunch of
    swap data. Remember the writeout operations will potentially allocate
    buffer_head's for the swapcache pages before doing real IO, which takes
    _more memory_: OOM deadlock.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:54    [W:4.402 / U:0.752 seconds]