SubjectRe: Cosmetic JFFS patch.
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> So let's simply disallow versions, author information, and "good status"
> messages, ok?

I'd be quite happy with this, if only for consistency's sake -- at the
moment we've got some kernel subsystems which print "yup, I've started
up" messages, and some which don't; it's mildly annoying when you're
trying to track down a problem that's stopping the kernel from
starting up correctly, because there's no guarantee that the last
message had anything to do with what was actually happening.

Being a geekish sort of person, I'd prefer it if on my system I could
make everything print a line saying what it is and what hardware it
found; perhaps it could be a kernel argument ("messages=full"; the
messages option would control which log prefixes printk would actually
print to the screen, and module startup messages would use a
predefined prefix). Might be handy for debugging.

--
Adam Sampson <azz@gnu.org> <URL:http://azz.us-lot.org/>