SubjectRE: A signal fairy tale - a little comphist
At 03:57 PM 6/28/2001 +0200, Heusden, Folkert van wrote:
>[...]
> > A signal number cannot be opened more than once concurrently;
> > sigopen() thus provides a way to avoid signal usage clashes
> > in large programs.
>YOU> Signals are a pretty dopey API anyway -
>
>Exactly. When signals were made up, signalhandlers were supposed to
>not so much more then a last cry and then exit the application. sigHUP
>to re-read the config was not supposed to happen.
>
>YOU> so instead of trying to patch
>YOU> them up, why not think of something better for AIO?
>
>Yeah, a select() on excepfds.

POSIX AIO API's are significantly more powerful then using select(),
particularly for certain types of applications. select() doesn't provide
you with a good way to perform I/O operations at different offsets
simultaneously, doesn't allow for I/O priority, etc.

--Chris

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.029 / U:0.020 seconds]