SubjectRe: Qlogic Fiber Channel

Le ven, 29 jun 2001 17:09:56, Alan Cox a écrit :
> > From my point of view, this driver is sadly broken. The fun part is
that
> > the qlogic driver is certainly based on this one too (look at the code,
> > the drivers differs not so much).
>
> And if the other one is stable someone should spend the time merging the
> two.

That what I would like to try but It seems impossible without an
IP-enhanced firmware. I could try with the old firmware but I believe that
the new code from QLogic use some features that are only in recent
firmware.

> > IMHO the qlogicfc driver should be removed from the kernel tree and
> > perhaps replaced by the last qlogic one. We then lost the IP support
> > but this is a broken support.
>
> For 2.5 that may wellk make sense. Personally I'd prefer someone worked
> out
> why the qlogicfc driver behaves as it does. It sounds like two small bugs
> nothing more
>
> 1. That the FC event code wasnt updated from 2.2 so now runs
> with IRQ's off when it didnt expect it
>
> 2. That someone has a slight glitch in the queue handling.

This driver is already buggy under kernel 2.2. This driver is a well known
source of problems in the GFS mailing lists.

I believe that the better thing to do is to use the qlogic driver. If we
manage to get a recent IP-enhanced firmware we could rewrite the missing IP
code. Half of the job is already done in the source of this driver.

I didn't manage to reach the good person from qlogic. Perhaps someone would
have better results.

Christophe

--
Christophe Barbé