    SubjectRE: Cosmetic JFFS patch.
    On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Laramie Leavitt wrote:
    > > dmesg buffer space is rather limited and IMHO there isn't space to
    > > waste on credit-giving in boot logs.
    > Here here. You don't see annoying log-eating copyright messages
    > printed out in the Windows boot. Just imagine:

    There's a difference; someone paid for that Windows code and you paid to
    get windows and don't care about who did what. But when someone puts down
    a lot of work to contributes something for free which others find useful
    and actually use, don't you think it might be prudent to let them at least
    write who contributed it, if a line is going to be printed anyway to say
    device that or that has been registred ?

    I know it sounds a bit like an "advertisment space" but it's always been
    so; people have been releasing code for free since noone knows how long
    and often one major factor has been that their peers will go "wow did
    you do that". Otherwise why would anyone ever write their name in an About
    box when they release a freeware program. And dmesg is the Linux kernels
    About box (someone might argue that the code is the about box but
    unfortunately most people dont read the headers in every .c file they

    See the old BSD license - distribution-wise it's more free than the GPL
    but you still had to give credit where credit is due when getting a free
    lunch from someone elses work (I think this requirement was dropped in the
    current BSD license)

    The risk is that some people might take it quite personally to get their
    names removed and might not be as interested to see their code in the
    kernel in the future. Of course as long as it's GPL nothing would stop it
    anyway, but I still think it's a good idea to give credit for others hard

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.020 / U:52.168 seconds]