SubjectRe: Linux and system area networks
Date
In article <52d77o46ra.fsf@love-boat.topspincom.com> you wrote:
> We seem to have come full circle. My original question was about
> providing a better way for sockets applications to take advantage of
> SAN hardware. W2K Datacenter introduces "Winsock Direct," which will
> bypass the protocol stack when appropriate. The Infiniband people are
> working on a "Sockets Direct" standard, which is a similar idea. No
> one seems to care about this for Linux.

Well, there is some work done by the zero-copy folks and the sendfile()
function. Realy much more than a mmaped network socket is not needed.

Besides it looks like SAN will go all the way in the IP Direction sooner or
later anyway :)

There are some interesting Features like accessing MS SQL 7.0 Server via VIA
architecture interfaces over SAN, I am not sure o how open VIA is.

Greetings
Bernd

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.090 / U:0.228 seconds]