SubjectRe: Patch(2.4.5): Fix PCMCIA ATA/IDE freeze (w/ PCI add-in cards)
On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 12:29:47AM -0700, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> I can not help if you have a device that not compliant to the rules.
> ATA-2 is OBSOLETED thus we forced (the NCITS Standards Body) the CFA
> people to move to ATA-4 or ATA-5.
>
> That device is enabling with its ablity to assert its device->host
> interrupt regardless of the HOST...that is a bad device.
>
> Send me the manufacturer and I will tear them apart for making a
> non-compliant device. Then figure out a way to de-assert the like
> regardless if it exists without hang the rest of the driver.

I don't understand the ATA spec issue, but *every* PCMCIA ATA device I
know of (including all SmartMedia, CompactFlash, etc) suffers from
this problem. It is not an isolated manufacturer. As far as I know,
the IDE driver has always had the problem that it may trigger
interrupts before it installs a handler. Are you saying that is only
true of pre-ATA-4 devices, or only devices that deviate from the spec?

-- Dave

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.048 / U:0.352 seconds]