SubjectRe: Patch(2.4.5): Fix PCMCIA ATA/IDE freeze (w/ PCI add-in cards)

It should be all devices that do not claim ATA-4/5 support.
I have to go back and look to see what the cut-off was that CFA agreed to
move forward off the dead docs.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
ASL Kernel Development
Linux ATA Development
ASL, Inc. Toll free: 1-877-ASL-3535
1757 Houret Court Fax: 1-408-941-2071
Milpitas, CA 95035 Web: www.aslab.com

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, David Hinds wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 12:29:47AM -0700, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> >
> > I can not help if you have a device that not compliant to the rules.
> > ATA-2 is OBSOLETED thus we forced (the NCITS Standards Body) the CFA
> > people to move to ATA-4 or ATA-5.
> >
> > That device is enabling with its ablity to assert its device->host
> > interrupt regardless of the HOST...that is a bad device.
> >
> > Send me the manufacturer and I will tear them apart for making a
> > non-compliant device. Then figure out a way to de-assert the like
> > regardless if it exists without hang the rest of the driver.
>
> I don't understand the ATA spec issue, but *every* PCMCIA ATA device I
> know of (including all SmartMedia, CompactFlash, etc) suffers from
> this problem. It is not an isolated manufacturer. As far as I know,
> the IDE driver has always had the problem that it may trigger
> interrupts before it installs a handler. Are you saying that is only
> true of pre-ATA-4 devices, or only devices that deviate from the spec?
>
> -- Dave

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.057 / U:3.556 seconds]