    SubjectRe: Patch(2.4.5): Fix PCMCIA ATA/IDE freeze (w/ PCI add-in cards)
    Andre Hedrick wrote:

    > PARANIOA.

    This is not a valid reason.

    This clearly fixes a bug in linux. Note: the irq disable
    is local to ide-cs. Are you paranoid enough to believe
    enabling the irq by writing globally to the control register that
    existed since ATA will have ill effects?

    You claim the relevant PCMCIA ATA behaviour is not ATA(>3?) compliant,
    however you didn`t yet give any facts to support this !

    You claim this locks the driver, again no facts.

    > Remember that ATAPI is generally screwed beyond reality, so adjusting the
    > probe code in general (global) is a bad thing.
    > On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
    >
    > > > obsoleting ATA-2 did their attention at CFA become alarmed. I agree that
    > > > there needs to be a fix, but not at the price of locking the rest of the
    > > > driver. Since we now the identity of the device prior to assigned the
    > > > interrupt we can handle the execption, but you do not go around blanket
    > > > wacking the control register of all devices.

    The proposed patch is very simple (as per Linus' liking). When considering to
    install an earlier (and global) irq handler I believe you can see
    this will impose a much greater risk !

    > > I dont see why it locks up the driver ?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:3.102 / U:0.236 seconds]