I've seen some people saying that user-limits are an essential part of a
secure system to prevent local DoS attacks. Given that, should
a system call like 'fork' return -EPERM if the user has reached their
limit?

My local manpage (SuSE 7.2 system) says this under fork:

ERRORS
EAGAIN fork cannot allocate sufficient memory to copy the
parent's page tables and allocate a task structure
for the child.
-----
Should the man page be updated to reflect that EAGAIN is returned
when the user has reached their limit? From a user-monitoring point
of view, it might be security relevant to know if a EAGAIN is being
returned because the system really is low on resources or if it
is a user hitting their limit.

--
The above thoughts and | I know I don't know the opinions
writings are my own. | of every part of my company. :-)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.041 / U:0.016 seconds]