SubjectRe: Microsoft and Xenix.

Beehive -- there's a name I haven't heard in a long time! The ones I remember
had dual floppy drives and ran CP/M. I last saw one in about 1985.

Wayne

asmith@14inverleith.freeserve.co.uk on 06/25/2001 12:11:01 PM

To: William T Wilson <fluffy@snurgle.org>
cc: Rob Landley <landley@webofficenow.com>, "Eric W. Biederman"
<ebiederm@xmission.com>, Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk>,
linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (bcc: Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec)

Subject: Re: Microsoft and Xenix.

Hi,

I first used Unix on a PDP11/44 whilst studying for my Computer Engineering
degree at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. I think they and Queen
Margaret
College, London were the first folk running Unix version 6 outside Bell Labs.
If anyone knows where Patrick O'Callaghan is now (ask him).

Another Unix like OS was Cromemco Cromix running on bank switched Z80 S-100
kit.(later 68000).

I then used SCO Xenix 286 on early Compaq 286 PC's. Companies like Chase,
Specialix and Stallion grew up as suppliers of intelligent RS-232 boards. As
a result of all these Xenix machines, Wyse sold a hell of a lot of WY50
terminals.

Who remembers terminals from Lear Siegler and Beehive. All this was before
networking came about. Then the Chase Iolan to connect these same Wyse
terminals to the SCO box but through one bit of co-ax instead of multi-core
cables. Also you could get 100m away from your SCO box with co-ax.

--
Andrew Smith in Edinburgh