SubjectRe: Is this part of newer filesystem hierarchy?
OK, i could even figure that, my interest was mainly about binutils and
/usr/bin/ld, which should refer to ldscript directory to work.
At less, it ever did so since 9 years on my at home compiled versions,
(actually 2.11.90.0.17).

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Keith Owens wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 19:09:12 -0600,
> "D. Stimits" <stimits@idcomm.com> wrote:
> >There is a directory on RH 7.1 x86, /lib/i686/. When checking with ldd
> >to various applications, as to which libc they link to, it turns out
> >that the /lib/libc.so.6 is not used. They all seem to point at
> >/lib/i686/libc.so.6 (this is the version with debugging symbols) by
> >default. The odd thing is that there are NO LD_ style path variables set
> >on this system, there is NO /etc/ld.so.preload, and /etc/ld.so.conf does
> >not contain any reference to /lib/i686/. So there is a question of just
> >how it is possible for ld to use that directory and ignore /lib/ for
> >libc.so.6.
>
> 15 minutes with a few commands, man pages and the source of glibc will
> show you this ...
>
> # /sbin/ldconfig -p | fgrep -w libc
> libc.so.6 (libc6, hwcap: 0x8000000000000, OS ABI: Linux 2.4.1) => /lib/i686/libc.so.6
> libc.so.6 (libc6, OS ABI: Linux 2.2.5) => /lib/libc.so.6
>
> The data is coming from /etc/ld.so.cache which is build by ldconfig.
> A quick scan of the source for ldconfig.c in glibc 2.2.2 shows that it
> starts with standard paths /lib and /usr/lib then searches those
> directories and all their subdirectories looking for libraries. That
> explains why it finds /lib/i686 without being explicitly specified.
>
> Note the hwcap entry in /lib/i686/libc.so.6. The dynamic linker no
> longer takes the first entry it finds for a library, instead it looks
> for the first entry that matches the current hardware. This is
> required for machines like ia64 which can also run i386 binaries and
> for sparc which can run 32 or 64 bit apps.
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.062 / U:0.040 seconds]