    SubjectRe: Is it useful to support user level drivers
    On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 06:38:09PM +0700, Dmitry A. Fedorov wrote:
    > kernel module to delivery hardware interrupts to user space
    > programs. Hardware interrupts (IRQ) are accessible by
    > character devices /dev/irq[0-15]. Interrupts delivered by
    > signals and select(2)/poll(2)

    i believe libgpio uses the existing usb/iee1394/serial/parallel
    interfaces to provide a limited userspace driver capability. gphoto2
    uses this to support a LOT of digital cameras entirely in userspace...

    obviously this concept isn't covering everything but it sure covers a
    lot of bases. also depends on what you understand a "driver" to be...
    from a "common user"'s perspective it just means "it makes my WinWidget
    work!"

    it's similar to what you describe above in that there's a kernel
    interface, but it's more specific than /dev/irq5. this is good in that
    you don't want a different usb driver for every userspace usb device
    driver...

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gphoto/ (i think)

    j.

    --
    "Bobby, jiggle Grandpa's rat so it looks alive, please" -- gary larson