    SubjectRe: Controversy over dynamic linking -- how to end the panic
    ** Reply to message from "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> on Thu, 21 Jun
    2001 16:13:22 -0400

    > Linus *is*, however, implicitly claiming the authority to make license
    > policy on behalf of the other copyright holders in cases where the GPL
    > is unclear.

    And that could be dangerous to "GPL purists", because in a legal situation,
    someone could point at Linus and say, "See, I don't have to GPL my code."

    > In COPYING, Linus says that that the version of GPL applying to the
    > kernel is v2 unless explicitly otherwise stated. He has also already
    > issued the interpretation that normal system calls from userland do
    > not create a derivation relationship.

    I just hope that's enough.

    > I consider Linus to have the moral right to make these decisions, whether
    > or not the law gives him a formal legal right to do so. All I have done
    > is propose that he be more explicit about his policy in order to prevent
    > needless confusion and nervousness.

    I agree completely.

    --
    Timur Tabi - ttabi@interactivesi.com