    SubjectRe: Controversy over dynamic linking -- how to end the panic
    Date
    > To be honest, I disagree that #include'ing a GPL header file should force your
    > app to be GPL as well. That may be how the license reads, but I think it's a
    > very bad idea. I could write 1 million lines of original code, but if someone
    > told me that but simply adding #include <stdio.h> my code is now a derivative of
    > the stdio.h, I'd tell him to go screw himself.

    Not to mention utterly unenforceable. Consider:

    1) Oracle Corp. builds their database for Linux on a Linux system.
    2) Said system comes with standard header files, which happen in this case to
    be GPL'd header files.
    3) Oracle Corp.'s database becomes GPL.

    There's not a court in the civilised world that would uphold the GPL in that
    scenario.

    Regards,

    /Mike

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.019 / U:59.344 seconds]