    SubjectRe: Is it useful to support user level drivers
    > There is no such thing as a "user mode" interrupt service routine.
    > There never was one, and there will never be one on any machine
    > that fetches instructions from memory for execution. [...]

    If memory does not deceive me, SunLab Spring processed interrupts
    in user space. I do not remember for sure, but I think QNX did, too.
    User mode interrupt handlers are perfectly doable, provided that the
    hardware allows to mask interrupts selectively.

    Large part of the post that I quoted was spent on spitting
    in the general direction of clueless programmers; indeed,
    I observe that perhaps 90% of requests for user mode interrupt
    processing come from the same people who would like to write
    Linux kernel mode code in C++ (total retards, in other words).

    It does not mean, however, that there are not justified cases
    for user-mode interrupt handlers, especially outside of Linux.
    Some OSes are even written in C++ and Java, and run just fine
    on a machine that fetches instructions from memory.

    -- Pete

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.046 / U:60.568 seconds]