    SubjectIs this part of newer filesystem hierarchy?
    I found on my newer Redhat 7.1 distribution that glibc is being placed
    differently than just /lib/. Here is the structure I found:

    /lib/ has:
    libc-2.2.2.so (hard link)
    libc.so.6 (sym link to above)

    A new directory appears, /lib/i686/ (uname -m is i686):
    libc-2.2.2.so (a full hard link copy of /lib/ version)
    libc.so.6 (sym link to hard link in this directory)

    The file size of /lib/libc-2.2.2.so is around 1.2 MB, while the size of
    /lib/i686/libc-2.2.2.so is over 5 MB. The 5 MB version has symbols,
    while the 1.2 MB version is stripped.

    Here is the peculiar part that I need to find out about. My
    /lib/ld.so.conf does not contain the i686 directory in its path. Nor do
    any local LD environment variables. Even so, "ldconfig -p" lists *only*
    the libc.so.6 sym link, not the libc-2.2.2.so, and the one listed is for
    the i686 subdirectory, not the /lib/ directory. How is it possible that
    the i686 directory is being checked if it is not listed in ld.so.conf
    and not part of any LD path variable? I am using a non-Redhat kernel
    (patched 2.4.6-pre1), so I know it isn't a Redhat-ism related to the
    kernel itself. My ld version:
    ~# ld --version
    GNU ld 2.10.91
    This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms
    of
    the GNU General Public License. This program has absolutely no
    warranty.
    Supported emulations:
    elf_i386
    i386linux
    elf_i386_glibc21

    Possibly Redhat altered ld? According to the man page, this directory
    should not be found since it is not part of ld.so.conf, and also the
    /lib/ version *should* be found (but isn't). What has changed, is it a
    standard for filesystem hierarchy, or is it something distribution
    specific? (I need to pass the answer along to someone working on
    customized boot software that is currently being confused by this
    distinction; there is a need to find a proper means to detect libc and
    linker information)

    D. Stimits, stimits@idcomm.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:19.056 / U:0.004 seconds]