SubjectRe: Alan Cox quote? (was: Re: accounting for threads)

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, george anzinger wrote:

> > around we _will_ get problems. Kernel UP programming is not different
> > from SMP one. It is multithreaded. And amount of genuine SMP bugs is
> > very small compared to ones that had been there on UP since way back.
> > And yes, programming threads is the same thing. No arguments here.
> >
> Correct, IF the UP kernel is preemptable. As long as it is not (and SMP
> is ignored) threads are harder BECAUSE they are preemptable.

In practice it's a BS. There is a lot of ways minor modifications of code
could add a preemption point, so if you rely on the lack of such - expect
major PITA.

Yes, in theory SMP adds some extra fun. Practically, almost every "SMP"
race found so far did not require SMP.

Clean code is trivial to make SMP-safe - critical areas that rely on
lack of preemption are couple of instructions wide and are easy to
protect. Anything trickier and I bet that you have a race on (normal)
UP kernel. Been there, found probably several hundreds of them.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.095 / U:0.244 seconds]