    SubjectRe: Alan Cox quote? (was: Re: accounting for threads)
    Date
    Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> writes:

    > [...] died-in-the-wool Java programmer and could care less about
    > performance, system design, or any elegance whatsoever.

    Larry, please.

    SunOS _is_ dead [1]. Ever since they switched to Solaris, you seem to
    be sore about Si^hun and everything that comes out of them [3] :-)

    If it wasn't for Java, 99% of the commercial world today would be
    Visual Basic. So, please, stop bashing on it just because you're not
    using it.

    All operating systems suck. All languages suck. Everyone can write bad
    code in every language. It's neither a question of a language or OS
    but of developer skill and experience.

    Just the fact that some people use Java (or any other language) does
    not mean, that they don't care about "performance, system-design or
    any elegance whatsoever" [2].

    Regards
    Henning

    [1] I still have a SunOS 4.1.4_patched_to_the_hell_and_back box at a
    customer site and this single box gives us more headaches performance-
    , stability and security wise than any of the 10+ Solaris 2.7 or 25+
    Linux boxes. It's a sucker to keep the newbie admins awake, that there
    were things before bash, linuxconf and /sbin/chkconfig. Compiling an
    OpenSSH on this box made at least one of the newbies quit. =;-)

    [2] I was raised on SunOS 4.0.3 and I'm glad to have Solaris+Linux. I
    did an OS innards course at the university around 1991/1992 and they
    had a license to give the students a look into the source code of
    SunOS at this time. I had nightmares for weeks after. Horrors after
    horrors to sacrifice "system-design and elegance" for "performance".

    [3] Please. It starts sounding like the nostalgia some east germans
    develop to get their totalitarian regime back, because "everything was
    better then".

    --
    Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
    INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH hps@intermeta.de

    Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 info@intermeta.de
    D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20