    SubjectRe: [2.4.5 and all ac-Patches] massive file corruption with reiser or NFS
    Date
    Am Samstag,  2. Juni 2001 20:33 schrieb Chris Mason:
    > On Saturday, June 02, 2001 08:13:44 PM +0200 Andreas Hartmann
    >
    > <andihartmann@freenet.de> wrote:
    > > Am Samstag, 2. Juni 2001 18:42 schrieben Sie:
    > >> On Saturday, June 02, 2001 02:41:04 PM +0200 Andreas Hartmann

    > >> has gone out of cache on the server. Under light load, this might
    > >> happen very rarely.
    > >>
    > > > The load didn't change. YOu can forget the load, it's very small. It's
    > > > my
    > >
    > > private server and I'm doing always the same thing via NFS - compiling
    > > e.g. This has been working fine until 2.4.4.ac10, afterwards it has been
    > > broken.
    >
    > Ok, there are two different problems here. The patch you posted to l-k is
    > a generic NFS fix for 2.4.5. ext2 would need this too.
    >
    > If you are serving NFS from your reiserfs disk, you need an additional
    > patch on the server only (this is the one I was talking about). Checkout
    > the FAQ on www.namesys.com for all the details.

    Just for my understanding:
    While I used 2.2.19 without patch on the server (it serves only reiser-based
    data) and 2.4.[1234]ac[...] on the client (without patch), it has been
    working because of the light load of the server.

    Since 2.4.4ac11 something has been broken in the NFS for 2.4.5, so I ran into
    problems.

    When this conclusion is right, the following combination should work for
    light load, as I usually have it:
    unpatched 2.2.19 on the server (as it has been working with 2.2.4ac10) and
    NFS-patched 2.4.5. The test showed, that it is working.

    The actual combination 2.4.5 on the server and on the client with the
    mentioned NFS-patch is the same situation as with the unpatched 2.2.19 on the
    server and the NFS-patch only on the 2.4.5-client.

    I hope, that there will be soon a 2.4.5 knfsd-patch for my server, because
    this is the secure way! And I hope, the broken NFS on the client in the
    2.4.5-Kernels will be fixed soon - maybe in the next ac-patch?

    Regards,
    Andreas Hartmann

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:54    [W:0.027 / U:29.932 seconds]