    SubjectRe: Alan Cox quote? (was: Re: accounting for threads)
    At 1:57 PM -0700 2001-06-19, David S. Miller wrote:
    >So my basic point is that I don't want people to read what you said
    >and believe "oh then the difference between threads vs. different
    >processes under Solaris is due to Sparc hw architecture reasons
    >instead of sw reasons" which simply isn't true.

    Yeah, my observation wasn't central to the discussion, and the
    overhead of SPARC register windows is probably more relevant to
    user-level threads, not to mention small compared to IO.

    It seems to me that the telling argument against threads has much
    more to do with the potential complexity of the resulting code than
    with after-all-minor performance considerations. If threads truly
    gave one an elegant, fool-proof way to implement otherwise complex
    applications, well, what are MIPS for, anyway?

    I have a question, though. The SGI "state threads" mentioned earlier
    use threads in a controlled way with a state-machine programming
    model, which among other things has the potential to take advantage
    of multiple processors. How does one otherwise take advantage of MP
    with a state machine? Multiple processes and shared memory?

    --
    /Jonathan Lundell.