    SubjectRe: Newbie idiotic questions.
    [snip]
    Jeff> It's the preference of the maintainer. It's a tossup: using
    Jeff> the type in the kmalloc makes the type being allocated obvious.
    Jeff> But using sizeof(*var) is a tiny bit more resistant to change.

    Ok, thanks. I was looking at fixing an `actual bug' in this driver
    and I was wonder what else I could/should do while there. I didn't
    necessarily want to change `sizeof(struct Type)' to `sizeof(*value)'.
    I considered that change to be somewhat dubious, even though I like
    `sizeof(*value)'. Of course, I unwittingly demonstrated what dangers
    lie in making cosmetic changes [I was on my way to a party at the time
    and my girlfriend was calling, excuses, excuses...].

    So, It looks like I might fix the actual race condition, post that
    diff, fix any other small oddities, post that diff. If no one
    complains, etc I can ask the maintainer. Of course I will test it
    myself as well.

    regards,
    Bill Pringlemeir.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:2.654 / U:0.204 seconds]