SubjectNewbie idiotic questions.

I have been looking at the emu10k1 driver and I had a few questions
about general idioms used there.

In a line like this,

[main.c, line 175]

for (count = 0; count < sizeof(card->digmix) / sizeof(card->digmix[0]); count++) {

Isn't there some sort of `ALEN' macro available, or is this
considered to muddy things by using a macro?

[main.c, line 223]
if ((card->mpuout = kmalloc(sizeof(struct emu10k1_mpuout), GFP_KERNEL))

Why is the struct type referenced for the allocation size? Why not,

if ((card->mpuout = kmalloc(sizeof(card->mpuout), GFP_KERNEL))

This seems to get the size for the actual object being allocated.

[cardmi.c, line 42]

static struct {
int (*Fn) (struct emu10k1_mpuin *, u8);
} midistatefn[] = {

Why aren't all the gobs of constant data in this driver declared as
constant? Do it give a performance advantage by having the data in a
different MMU section and better cache effects or something?

Thanks for any helpful pointers. I did read the FAQ. I am just
wonder if I would get screamed at for changing things like this and
why... so I will probably get yelled at for suggesting them anyway,
but at least I won't have went through the effort. Now that I have
pointed that out, the will probably irk people even more...

regards,
Bill Pringlemeir.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.066 / U:0.024 seconds]