    SubjectRe: 2.4.2 yenta_socket problems on ThinkPad 240

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > core should be more than just the kissing cousins they are now. OTOH I
    > > still don't like how much we trust firmware PCI bus setup on x86..
    >
    > The BIOS may make assumptions we dont know about such as the bus layout. What
    > minimises the problem is effectively to validate the firmware provided PCI
    > setup and if its crap, then do the job ourselves. That minimizes the problems
    >
    > Hence I think it should not be a define but an __init validator for the bus
    > setup

    Yes.

    Regardless, it would certainly make sense to have a manual override, with
    a kernel command line. If for no other reason than to allow for mistakes
    and let the user force the old/new behaviour.

    So the #define should be a variable with a kernel command line override,
    along with a heuristic for the kernel to do a good guess on its own (and
    the heuristic should probably not be as global as the current
    "pcibios_assign_all_busses()" test - the heuristic will be able to tell on
    a bridge basis on whether that bridge may need assignment. This might
    imply giving the "pcibios_assign_all_busses()" thing the "dev" as an
    argument).

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.032 / U:88.236 seconds]