SubjectRe: SMP spin-locks
I thought that when you compiled a kernel as UP it replaced the spin-lock
macros with versions that are blank. As a result a UP kernel spends no
time doing spinlocks at all.

that's why a SMP kernel on a UP box is slightly slower, there is more code
to be executed

David Lang

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:21:35 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Richard B. Johnson <root@chaos.analogic.com>
> To: Roger Larsson <roger.larsson@norran.net>
> Cc: Linux kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
> Subject: Re: SMP spin-locks
>
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Roger Larsson wrote:

> > > The embedded system is not SMP. However, there is definite
> > > advantage to using an unmodified kernel that may/may-not
> > > have been compiled for SMP. Of course spin-locks are used
> > > to prevent interrupts from screwing up buffer pointers, etc.
> > >

> > Not really - it prevents another processor entering the same code
> > segment (spin_lock_irqsave prevents both another processor and
> > local interrupts).
> >
> > An interrupt on UP can not wait on a spin lock - it will never be released
> > since no other code than the interrupt spinning will be able to execute)
>
> An interrupt on a UP system will never spin, nor will the IP from
> another CPU because there isn't another CPU. A spin-lock, compiled
> for UP is:
>
> pushf
> popl some_register, currently EBX
> cli ; Clear the interrupts on the only CPU you have
>
> do_some_code_that_must_not_be_interrupted();
>
> pushl same_register_as_above
> popf ; Restore interrupts if they were enabled
>

> For SMP is:
>
> pushf
> popl some_register
> cli ; Clear interrupts
> modify_a_memory_variable
> x: see_if_it_is_what_you_expect
> if_not_loop_to x
>
> do_some_code_that_must_not_be_interrupted();
>
> modify_the_memory_variable_back
> pushl same_register_as_above
> popf
>

> Since `cli` will only stop interrupts on the CPU that actually
> fetches the instruction, another CPU can enter the code unless
> it is forced to spin until the lock is released.
>
> If this code is executed on a UP machine, the memory variable
> will always become exactly as expected so it will never spin.
> Therefore SMP code should be perfectly safe on a UP machine,
> in fact must be perfectly safe, or it's broken.
>
> The current spinlock code does work perfectly on a UP machine.
> However, the large difference in performance shows that something
> is quite less than optimum in the coding.
>
> Spinlocks are machine dependent. A simple increment of a byte
> memory variable, spinning if it's not 1 will do fine. Decrementing
> this variable will release the lock. A `lock` prefix is not necessary
> because all Intel byte operations are atomic anyway. This assumes
> that the lock was initialized to 0. It doesn't have to be. It
> could be initialized to 0xaa (anything) and spin if it's not
> 0xab (or anything + 1).
>

> > SMP compiled kernel, but running on UP hardware - right?
> > Then this _should not_ happen!
> >
> > see linux/Documentation/spinlocks.txt
> >

> This, in fact, will happen. Machines booted from the network should
> have SMP code so a SMP machine can use all its CPUs. This same
> [...]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.481 / U:0.096 seconds]