SubjectRe: Changing CPU Speed while running Linux
Date
Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> Sven Geggus wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > on my Elan410 based System it is very easy to change the CPU clock
> > speed by means od two outb commands.
> >
> > I was wondering, if it does some harm to the Kernel if the CPU is
> > reprogrammed using a different CPU clock speed, while the system is up and
> > running.
>
> I have a module for the K6 PowerNow which allows you to do
>
> echo 450 > /proc/sys/cpu/0/frequency
>
> and does the right thing wrt udelay / bogomips etc..
> I can dig it out if you want.. sounds like this should be a more generic
> thing.

Yes, please.

After (all) Athlon 4/MT (Palomino) and Duron mobile feature PowerNow! it
should be usefull for more and more people.

Regards,
Dieter

BTW I think there are only a "few" K6-2+/K6-III+ out ;-)
But PowerNow! is nice stuff. I had an eye on an 1 GHz Palomino
at CeBIT '2001.
--
Dieter Nützel
Graduate Student, Computer Science

University of Hamburg
Department of Computer Science
Cognitive Systems Group
Vogt-Kölln-Straße 30
D-22527 Hamburg, Germany

email: nuetzel@kogs.informatik.uni-hamburg.de
@home: Dieter.Nuetzel@hamburg.de

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:2.043 / U:0.012 seconds]