SubjectRe: Re[2]: PC keyboard rate/delay
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Sergey Tursanov wrote:
> AC> You must have been reading my mind. Yesterday I traced at least one X11
> AC> hang down to the kernel and X server both frobbing with the port at the same
> AC> time and crashing the microcontroller on my PC110.
>
> I think it would be better to place all of kbd controller code
> into the kernel instead of using various userspace programs
> such as kbdrate. Otherwise why KDKBDREP was defined ?-)

Because (almost?) all m68k machines don't have PC style keyboard controllers,
so we _had_ to invent some other way to implement it in a portable (across all
m68k machines) way.

<wishful thinking>
Of course it would be nice if all architectures would want to use it.
</wishful thinking>

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds