SubjectRe: rsync hangs on RedHat 2.4.2 or stock 2.4.4

Russell King writes:
> At the time I suggested it was because of a missing wakeup in 2.4.2 kernels,
> but I was shouted down for using 2.2.15pre13. Since then I've seen these
> reports appear on lkml several times, each time without a solution nor
> explaination.
>
> Oh, and yes, we're still using the same setup here at work, and its running
> fine now - no rsync lockups. I'm not sure why that is. ;(

Look everyone, it was determined to be a deadlock because of some
interaction between how rsync sets up it's communication channels
with the ssh subprocess, readas: userland bug.

I don't remember if the specific problem was in rsync itself or some
buggy version of ssh. One can search the list archives to discover
Alexey's full analysis of the problem. I don't have a URL handy.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.089 / U:0.124 seconds]