SubjectRe: threading question
On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 01:07:11PM -0600, wrote:
> Hello,
> due to the nature of the problem (a pairwise mutual alignment of n
> sequences results in mx. n^2 alignments which can each be done in a
> separate thread), I need to create and destroy the threads frequently.
> I am not really comfortable with 1.4 - 1.5 speedups since the solution was
> intended as a Linux one primarily and it just happenned that it works (and
> now even better) on Solaris/SGI/OSF...

If you havily create threads under load you're rather srewed. If you want
to stay with the (IMHO rather suboptimal) posix threads API you might want
to take a look at the stuff IBM has produced:

Otherwise a simple wrapper for clone might be a _lot_ faster, but has it's
own disadvantages: no ready-to-use lcoking primitives, no cross-platform
support (ok, it should be portable to the FreeBSD rfork easily).