SubjectRe: Question: Status of VIA chipsets and 2.2 kernels
Ugh why VIA? They have been a constant source of trouble for me on both
linux and windows. I have my doubts about their ability to get a chipset
right in the first place.

Some other possible Athlon boards:
Asus A7M266 (AMD chipset)
Asus A7A266 (ALI chipset)

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Robert Cohen wrote:

> What with all the various problem reports flying around for via
> chipsets, Ive lost track of the state of play as regards via
> northbridges and south bridges.
> I am thinking of buying a machine with a via chipset and I wan't to know
> how stable it is likely to be with Linux.
> I would appreciate it if someone who know's whats going on can give a
> report on the state of play
> as regards to all the problems and their current status with 2.2 kernels
> (and 2.4 if their feeling energetic).
>
> Possible machine are:
> a P3 machine with a ASUS CUV4X-E motherboard which uses the apollo pro
> 694X northbridge and a 686B southbridge.
>
> An athlon machine with an ASUS A7V motherboard which uses a KT133
> (VT8363) northbridge and a 686A southbridge.
>
> An athlon machine with an ASUS A7V133 motherboard which uses a KT133A
> (VT8363A) northbridge and a 686B southbridge.
>
> Problems Ive been hearing about include DMA disk transfers between
> channels. Some reports say these only occur with Western digital disks.
> The 2 athlon boards listed include an onboard promise IDE controller. So
> I should be OK if I use this for disks, right?
>
> Any other problems I should know about?
>

> --
> Robert Cohen
> Unix Support
> TLTSU
> Australian National University
> Ph: 612 58389
> -

Gerhard Mack

gmack@innerfire.net

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.