    SubjectRe: reiserfs, xfs, ext2, ext3
    Date
    On Wednesday 09 May 2001 16:49, john slee wrote:
    > On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 10:38:14AM +0300, Mart?n Marqu?s wrote:
    > > We are waiting for a server with dual PIII, RAID 1,0 and 5 18Gb
    > > scsi disks to come so we can change our proxy server, that will run
    > > on Linux with Squid. One disk will go inside (I think?) and the
    > > other 4 on a tower conected to the RAID, which will be have the
    > > cache of the squid server.
    [...]
    > also appropriate could be ext2 with daniel phillips' directory
    > indexing patches.

    The ext2 indexing patch is apparently stable but it's still pre-alpha
    until the hash function is finalized. I could see using it to run
    performance tests of ext2+indexing against the alternatives, but only
    if you are prepared to rerun mke2fs later. Then there is the matter of
    making fsck index-aware. As it stands now, if fsck finds an index it
    will remove it.

    But by all means please test the patch:

    http://nl.linux.org/~phillips/htree/dx.testme-2.4.4-4

    It would be great to see a table of ReiserFS/XFS/Ext2+index performance
    results. Well, to make it really fair it should be Ext3+index so I'd
    better add 'backport the patch to 2.2' or 'bug Stephen and friends to
    hurry up' to my to-do list.

    --
    Daniel