SubjectRe: reiserfs, xfs, ext2, ext3

> XFS is very fast most of the time (deleting a file is sooooo slow its like us
> ing
> old BSD systems). Im not familiar enough with its behaviour under Linux yet.

Hmm, I just removed 2.2 Gbytes of data in 30000 files in 37 seconds (14.4
seconds system time), not tooo slow. And that is on a pretty vanilla 2 cpu
linux box with a not very exciting scsi drive.

> What you might want to do is to make a partition for 'mystery journalling fs'
> and benchmark a bit.
>
> Alan

I agree with Alan here, the only sure fire way to find out which filesystem
will work best for your application is to try it out. I have found reiserfs
to be very fast in some tests, especially those operating on lots of small
files, but contrary to some peoples, belief XFS is good for a lot more than
just messing with Gbyte long data files.

Steve Lord

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.173 / U:0.224 seconds]